Wednesday 6 February 2013

It's a new year!

And I'm turning over a new leaf.  Hoping to get back to my favorite pastime, researching stories from the past, mostly Amherst of course.  I received this wonderful photo once from a friend.  Although I had left Cumberland County Museum and Archives, as would often happen, an item would be put into my hands for my viewing while grocery shopping or at a yard sale.  This is one such item, and unless the Museum already has a copy, it will go to them.  I love the many Acadian names in this St. Charles Baseball Club 1913.  White, Cuvilier, Burke, Blanch.  Baseball was in its heyday then, even I (the physical activity hater) played with my brothers in the empty lot in our neighbourhood in my girlhood. In the days of this photo, baseball church leagues were popular.  Everyone in our area had heard of the Springhill fencebusters, particularly my family since both parents grew up in Springhill. A neighbour of ours once told me that my father was a pretty good ball player in his younger years, high praise for that generation.  If you recognize anyone, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment