Thursday 7 June 2012

Laurene's style

My mother had great style in her younger years.  I want to carry that style myself but its hard in this casual dress world.  I can remember sitting on the edge of her bed as a child watching her put the finishing touches on her ensemble before my parents went off for a Christmas party.  She always wore these wonderful red dresses, some made of silk velvet.  My father would buy her beautiful cashmere sweater sets for Christmas gifts and have my older sister wrap them up for him.  We got to look them over and touch them to our face before wrapping.  Mom wore a wonderful grey dress and matching coat even before Jackie Kennedy made it popular.  I think Mom’s sense of style was what made me come to love vintage textiles so much.    I have my grandmother’s 20’s flapper embossed velvet dress, the only outfit that she kept and my mother’s leather purse that my father made her.  I have an old chenille jacket of my own in my trunk that I just cannot give up, even though it is not very stylish or unique. 
We women have one item tucked away in a closet or trunk that we just can’t let go; clothing has such an emotional connection for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment