Sunday 6 May 2012

Haunted Girl has arrived!


I helped my dear friend Laurie Glenn Norris publish a book about Amherst's most infamous girl, Esther Cox Shanahan titled Haunted Girl and we are launching the book at Cumberland County Museum and Archives in Amherst on May 12, 2012.  I am very excited.  This has been two years of work and there is so much to tell.  I hope to expand on some of the stories that I discovered about Amherst people here on my blog.  Esther was born in a small village called Eastville, near Stewiack, Nova Scotia, moved to Amherst as a teen where the poldergeist began to haunt her.  She later moved to Springhill Nova Scotia marrying Adam Porter, bearing him one child and later marring Peter Shanahan (Shannahan) and moving with him and his family to Brockton, Massachusettes.  Our book was published by Nimbus Publishing.  More about Esther and the mystery later.  Do you have your own Esther story?  Would love to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. Barb!

    This looks like an interesting project! I was not aware that Esther had a child by Adam Porter. Do you have any information about the child. I have been working on the Teed Genealogy for some time and have quite a bit of information about the Cox Family, if you're interested.

    Marilyn Bragg (mbraggsymons@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, Good to hear from you. I never found out about how Adam Porter died. His son James married a girl in Brockton and then I lost track of them. I will write a little blog about my Teed and Cox info. Although Daniel and Olive are on the Amherst headstone, rumor has it that they died somewhere else, which I could not confirm. Isn't it all so interesting?

    ReplyDelete